Carlota maintains high environmental standards to warranty the lowest impact on the surrounding environment and ecosystems. Carlota will be the first hotel in the country to be LEED Certified (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) by the U.S. Green Building Council. The operation and maintenance of Carlota and all its services will be Green Globe certified for sustainable and environmentally responsible practices.
The environmental strategies which allow Carlota to minimize its impact include:
- Clean renewable solar energy production on site to cover from 25% to 30% of the whole building’s energy demand
- Solar energy on site will also allow for adequate operations during a power outage
- An advanced water filtration system will allow for gray water from showers to be recovered and reuse for toilet flushing, reducing water consumption by 50%
- For adequate gray water recovery, all the amenities provided for guest use as shower gels, shampoo, etc, are biodegradable and with no contaminants
- All the water fixtures in bathrooms and public areas are high efficiency WaterSense certified for lowest water consumption
- Materials and finishes such as carpet, wood paneling etc, are materials with high recycled content or made from recovered material from the original building
- All of the structure, windows, doors, etc have been reclaimed and maintained to restore the original atmosphere while reducing environmental impact
- All private rooms and common spaces have adequate natural ventilation and natural daylight for comfort and well being
- All lighting in the hotel is LED lighting for reduced energy consumption , all equipments such as TV, appliances, hairdryers are energy efficient and have Energy Star rating
- The public spaces include an urban produce patch for production of locally sourced, organic vegetables, spices and greens thatare part of the menu at the Bistro, Tienda and Lounge at Carlota.